I have gathered a few interesting facts, stories and pictures here to try and represent both the single line of the Pardee family that I am familiar with and the greater mark left behind by those bearing the Pardee name. I will be updating as I come across further anecdotes, pictures and history. Enjoy.

  1. Anstice Cox, youngest of the four daughters of John Cox and Alice Walsbeer, was baptized on 25 June 1587. Her sisters were older by four, seven and nine years. On 3 May 1614 Anstice married Anthony Pardee, who was four years her junior, baptized 17 July 1591. Her husband was a schoolmaster in Pitminster in the west of England where they had married, and later a curate at Taunton. Anstice began having children nine months after their wedding, and within a little over 12 years had five daughters and two sons, beginning with Elizabeth, baptized 6 Feb 1615. George, the Emigrant, was the younger son and the last child but one. He was baptized 19 Feb 1624, and at age 19 or 20 immigrated to New Haven, Connecticut, probably because the Royalists had taken over Taunton and were persecuting Parliamentarians and Puritans. It is not known if the other children stayed in Taunton, or when Anstice died. Anthony died 14 Jan 1646, in his mid-50s.                                                                              
  2. Katherine Lane, second wife of George Pardee (1624-1700), married him in Dec 1662; at the time George had 4 children by his wife Martha Miles, whom he had married when he was 26 years old and had completed his five year apprenticeship to a tailor. When Martha died earlier in 1662, the children ranged in age from 2 ½ to 9 years old and included George Jr. who started one of the Pardee lines in the US. At the time they were married, Katherine’s husband ran the ferry in addition to working as a tailor. Shortly after the marriage he became the schoolmaster of the Hopkins School; though he did not have a college degree, he was the only man in town who knew Latin, learned at school in Pitminster and from his father. Katherine and George produced four children during their 25 or 26 year marriage, in addition to the four who were her stepchildren. Katherine’s first, born in April 1664 (sixteen months after they married) was our first male ancestor born in America, Joseph. He was followed by sisters Rebecca (1666-1731), Sarah, (1668-1756) and Hannah, b. 1672. Katherine may have died by 1688, because it is thought George married a third time to Rebekah, mentioned in records from 1689. Katharine’s birthplace and birth and death dates are not known. 
  3. Elizabeth Yale, born at New Haven Jan 29, 1668, lived only 34 years. She was the daughter of Thomas Yale and Mary Turner. Her father was a stepson of the governor Theophilus Eaton and her mother was daughter of Nathaniel Turner, who had been the first ranking officer of New Haven Colony until he was lost at sea. Elizabeth’s first cousin, Elihu Yale, funded Yale University. In 1689 on the day after her 21st birthday, Elizabeth married Joseph Pardee, the younger and apparently favorite son of the emigrant George Pardee. Joseph was nearly 24. He worked as a joiner; as a teenager he had been the town bell ringer. Elizabeth and Joseph were deeded several pieces of property by his father at the time of their marriage. However, during George Sr.’s lifetime, they lived with him on College Street in New Haven. Their first child, John, was born just nine months after their marriage. The baby lived only one week.  At two year intervals, Elizabeth gave birth to four more sons; the fourth, again named John, was our ancestor. He was born 6 Feb 1697 when Elizabeth was 29 years old. A daughter Mary was born in April 1700, the same month that father-in-law George Pardee died. Elizabeth died in New Haven 19 Sept 1702. Her children were aged 11, 9, 7, 5 ½ (John, our forebear), and 2 ½.  Joseph re-married fifteen months later, to Elizabeth Payne, who was 26 years old. She gave birth to ten children between Sept 1704 and Aug 1721. Joseph lived into his 70s, as did his second wife; they had settled the family in West Haven, while half-brother George settled East Haven, producing five children with his first wife and seven with his second. 
  4. Betsey Horn, born at Bristol (?), England, 1699, is thought to have been abducted by Free Rovers (pirates? white slavers?) from London and brought to the New World to be sold into bond servitude. She was ransomed by, and married, our ancestor Lieutenant John Pardee of the Connecticut militia. He was around two years her senior and was the fifth child, third surviving son of Joseph Pardee and Elizabeth Yale. Presumably John and Betsey were married before Oct 1722, when their first child, our predecessor Thomas, was born. By then, they had moved to Norwalk, Connecticut; they moved to Sharon sixteen years later. John was a shoemaker and tanner by trade, obtained a lot of property, and served as one of the first representatives of Sharon in the Connecticut Assembly. Betsey, meanwhile, gave birth to seven children in Norwalk and four more in Sharon, the last two being born when she was in her early 40s. Betsey lived to be around 62 years old; she died in Sharon, Connecticut on 8 Jan 1762. After her death, John married a widow, but that marriage produced no additional children. 
  5. Weltheon Cook, born at Windham (?), Connecticut, 20 Aug 1724, was a daughter of Bradford Cook and Lydia Ripley. She married Thomas Pardee at Sharon 24 Nov 1743 when she was 19 years old and he was 21. He eventually attained the rank of Captain of the train band of the east part of Sharon (whatever that was), and served in the Connecticut Assembly. Weltheon was of Mayflower descent. She had ten children between Christmas Day, 1744 and Feb 1759. The first, a daughter, died at three months. Our ancestor Samuel was born eleven months later, on 7 Mar 1746. Then another Christmas daughter was born in 1748; she lived to adulthood. There followed a son Gamaliel who died at one month, then, six months later, another Gamaliel who survived, a son William in 1754, followed two years later by boy and girl twins who died within a month of their birth. Another son and daughter followed the twins. A son died at 12, a daughter (Asena, the youngest), at 18. Weltheon outlived many of her children, dying at age 80 in Sharon. 
  6. Faith Brewster was born at Windham, Conn., 18 Nov 1746. She was descended from Elder William Brewster: (her father was James, son of Jonathan, son of Wrestling With the Devil, son of Love God, son of William). Her mother, Faith Ripley, and her husband’s maternal grandmother, Lydia Ripley, both were from Windham, and probably were related.  On 12 Oct 1769, at nearly 23 years of age, Faith Brewster married Captain Samuel Pardee, in Sharon, Connecticut where they lived all their lives and had nine children within the first eighteen years of their marriage. Their first daughter, Lavinia, was born eleven months after their marriage; their son, Augustus S. (originally Samuel Augustus) was born a year later. Those two lived beyond their parents, but were followed by three that died in infancy or toddlerhood. The next four children, Luther, Orrin (our ancestor), James, and Laura lived to adulthood, but James died at a young 29, several months before his mother Faith died on 26 Dec 1815 at age 69. Faith’s oldest and youngest daughters, Lavinia Pardee Beardsley and Laura Pardee Tucker as well as sons Augustus, Luther and Orrin, survived her husband Samuel Pardee who himself was the longest surviving of the ten children of Thomas and Weltheon, living until 26 April 1827, aged 81.  
  7. Julia Gay, born at Sharon, 1 Feb 1789, was the daughter of Daniel Gay and Clarissa Ensign. In 16 Sept 1810, at age 21, she married Orrin Pardee, a farmer and a Captain in the Connecticut militia. He was seven years her senior, having been born (also in Sharon) on 27 Jan 1782. As a very young man he had married a teenage girl, Polly, who died at age 18 in June 1804. Julia and Orrin had nine children while living in Sharon, the first a son Richard born thirteen months after their marriage, the last a daughter Helen Maria born in Feb 1829. Our ancestor was their fourth child, Augustus, born 11 June 1817, presumably named after Orrin’s oldest brother. Death dates of Julia’s and Orrin’s children are not known; one hopes they all survived Julia, who died at age 47 on 7 May 1836. Orrin lived 21 years longer; he died at East Bloomfield, NY, on 6 Dec 1857 at age 75. He had moved the family to Romulus, NY, in the same year that Julia died; there he married a third time, to Sophia (Delano) Gibson. She and Orrin had three more children, the last when he was 60 years old.  
  8. Emily McKnight was born at Rochester, NY, 24 Aug 1827, daughter of William McKnight and Elsie Bristol. She married Augustus Pardee on 25 April 1850 when she was 22 and he was 33. They had two children, our ancestor William McKnight, born 18 Feb 1855, nearly five years after his parents married. Emily and Augustus had moved to Brooklyn by the time William was born and to NYC when he was a few months old. Their second son, Howard Ashley, was born in NYC four years later, on 3 Feb 1859. In 1865, the family moved to Elizabeth, New Jersey. When Augustus died on 20 June 1879, his and Emily’s younger son was 20 years old and in college (he later attended medical school and was father of our “cousin Katharine” and her sister Emily and brother Howard Judd). Their older son William had returned to his parents’ home six months earlier to recuperate from malaria. With him was his wife of one year, who gave birth to their first child a month before her father-in-law died. Emily lived until 9 May 1896, 68+ years old, surviving her son William (our ancestor) by two years. 
  9. Katharine Dransfield was born in New Harmony, Indiana, on 12 February 1855. She was daughter of Catherine Husband and Charles Dransfield, both of families that were drawn to the utopian socialist society established a few decades earlier in New Harmony. The Husbands and Dransfields were partners in a large brick making operation. At age 23 she married William McKnight Pardee, who was six days younger than she and whom she had met when his survey company was working in the area of New Harmony. Their first daughter, Elsie, was born eleven months after their wedding and died before she was 4 months old. A second child, Howard, was born on the same day as Elsie (30 May) two years later, when the family was living back in Katharine’s home town of New Harmony. Howard lived to be only 31 months old. After the couple moved to Fort Wayne, their son Robert McKnight (our ancestor) was born on 27 March 1885 and another Elsie arrived two and a half years later on 9 Oct 1887. A few years later, in 1891, Katharine’s husband was diagnosed with tuberculosis. She traveled in the Rocky Mountains and California with him, in search of a cure, but he died 8 March 1894 when Elsie was only 6 and Robert about to turn 9. Katharine and William were 39 when he died. Within a year of her husband’s death, Katharine returned to New Harmony with her children; in her last years, she lived with her son’s family in Atlanta, Georgia, where she died on 18 July 1924. The family returned her remains to New Harmony later that summer.
  10. Emily Purvis was born in Mulranny, County Mayo, Ireland, 13 Jan 1889, daughter of Samuel Purvis and Mary Jane Cairns. She was the youngest of seven or perhaps nine children in a family that emigrated to Canada but returned to Ireland from time to time. Emily was closest to her sister Annie Purvis Glines,who was 7 or perhaps 9 years older than she. The two of them and their mother lived winters in Los Angeles for a number of years (Samuel having died when Emily was quite young). Emily worked as a secretary. In 1912 she met Robert McKnight Pardee, a civil engineer who was nearly four years her senior and was working with a railroad survey crew in western Canada. He was looking for water and secretarial help on her brother Albert’s ranch. The couple married on 11 September 1912. Their first child, John Munn McKnight Pardee, was born eleven months later on 9 Aug 1913, when Robert had taken a job as city engineer for the city of Buffalo, NY. Emily was 24 and Robert was 28 when they started their family. They moved to Pittsburg shortly before the birth of their second child, Constance, born 6 Dec 1917, then lived for around two years in Houston, Texas, and settled in Atlanta, Georgia, where they were living when their two youngest sons were born in 1920 and 1923. Like his father, Robert died young of tuberculosis, early in the Great Depression, 11 April 1930. The children were between 7 and 16 years old at his death. Emily returned to work as a secretary and took in boarders. All her children graduated from college. All served in the Armed Forces during WWII. Forced into retirement at age 80, she moved into an apartment in Charlotte, NC, where her daughter Connie Braxton lived with her family. Emily still was living on her own with Connie’s support when she died of a massive heart attack on 21 Aug 1976. She was 87 years old.

 Compiled by Jude Pardee from the Pardee Geneology

Faith Brewster was married to Samuel Pardee (son of Thomas Pardee and Weltheon Cook. Weltheon was also a Mayflower descendent.) in Sharon, CT on October 12, 1769. Faith Brewster was descended from Elder William Brewster of the Mayflower ‎(Faith, James, Jonathan, Wrestling, Love, William)‎.

Below is a Wikipedia article about Elder William Brewster:

William Brewster - Pilgrim

brewsterwilliamBirth name William Brewster

Born c. 1560 in Scrooby, England

Died 10 April 1644 in Duxbury, Massachusetts

Elder William Brewster (c. 1566 - April 10, 1644), was a Pilgrim colonist leader and preacher who came from Scrooby, in north Nottinghamshire and reached what became the Plymouth Colony in the Mayflower in 1620. He was accompanied by his wife, Mary Brewster, and his sons, Love Brewster and Wrestling Brewster. Son Jonathan joined the family in November 1621, arriving at Plymouth on the ship Fortune, and daughters Patience and Fear arrived in July 1623 aboard the Anne.


He was the son of William Brewster and Mary Smyth and he had a number of half-siblings. His paternal grandparents were William Brewster and Maud Mann. His maternal grandfather was Thomas Smyth. Brewster may have been born in Doncaster.

Scrooby Manor was in the possession of the Archbishops of York. Brewster's father, William senior, had been the estate bailiff for the archbishop for thirty-one years from around 1580. With this post went that of postmaster, which was a more important one than it might have been in a village not situated on the Great North Road, as Scrooby was then.

William Junior studied briefly at Peterhouse, Cambridge before entering the service of William Davidson in 1584. In 1585, Davidson went to the Netherlands to negotiate an alliance with the States-General. In 1586, Davidson was appointed assistant to Queen Elizabeth's Secretary of State Francis Walsingham, but in 1587 Davidson lost the favor of Elizabeth, after the beheading of her cousin (once removed) Mary, Queen of Scots.


Cambridge was a centre of thought concerning religious reformism, but Brewster's time in the Netherlands, in connection with Davidson's work, gave him opportunity to hear and see more of reformed religion. While, earlier in the sixteenth century, reformers had hoped to amend the Anglican Church, by the end of it, many were looking toward splitting from it.

On Davidson's disgrace, Brewster returned to Scrooby. There, from 1590 to 1607, he held the position of postmaster. As such he was responsible for the provision of stage horses for the mails, having previously, for a short time, assisted his father in that office. By the 1590s, Brewster's brother, James, was a rather rebellious Anglican priest, vicar of the parish of Sutton cum Lound, in Nottinghamshire. From 1594, it fell to James to appoint curates to Scrooby church so that Brewster, James and leading members of the Scrooby congregation were brought before the ecclesiastical court for their dissent. They were set on a path of separation from the Anglican Church. From about 1602, Scrooby Manor, Brewster's home, became a meeting place for the dissenting Puritans. In 1606, they formed the Separatist Church of Scrooby.


Restrictions and pressures applied by the authorities convinced the congregation of a need to emigrate to the more sympathetic atmosphere of Holland, but leaving England without permission was illegal at the time, so that departure was a complex matter. On its first attempt, in 1607, the group was arrested at Scotia Creek, but in 1608 Brewster and others were successful in leaving from The Humber. In 1609, he was selected as ruling elder of the congregation.

Initially, the Pilgrims settled in Amsterdam, and worshipped with the Ancient Church of Francis Johsonson and Henry Ainsworth. Offput by the bickering between the two, though (which ultimately resulted in a division of the Church), the Pilgrims left Amsterdam and moved to Leiden, after only a year.

In Leiden, the group managed to make a living. Brewster taught English and later, in 1616-1619, printed and published religious books for sale in England though they were proscribed there, as the partner of one Thomas Brewer. In 1619, the printing type was seized by the authorities under pressure from the English ambassador Sir Dudley Carleton and Brewster's partner was arrested. Brewster escaped and, with the help of Robert Cushman, obtained a land patent from the London Virginia Company on behalf of himself and his colleagues.

In 1620 he joined the first group of Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower on the voyage to180px-brewster chair North America. When the colonists landed at Plymouth, Brewster became the senior elder of the colony, serving as its religious leader and as an advisor to Governor William Bradford.

As the only university educated member of the colony, Brewster took the part of the colony's religious leader until a pastor, Ralph Smith, arrived in 1629. Thereafter, he continued to preach irregularly until his death in April 1644.

Brewster was granted land amongst the islands of Boston Harbor, and four of the outer islands (Great Brewster, Little Brewster, Middle Brewster and Outer Brewster) now bear his name.

Son of the Mayflower: Love Brewster

Birth: About 1611, in Leiden, Holland.

Marriage: Sarah Collier, 15 May 1634, Plymouth

Death: Between 6 October 1650 and 31 January 1650/1, Duxbury, MA

Children: Sarah, Nathaniel, William, and Wrestling

Love Brewster was born in Leiden, Holland, to parents William and Mary Brewster.  His father William was the Elder of the congregation, and in Leiden was a teacher of English and also published books on religion and theology (most of which were illegally sent into England).

At the age of about 9, he came with his father and mother on the Mayflower to Plymouth.  He married Sarah Collier in Plymouth on 15 May 1634.  Sarah was the daughter of William Collier, one of the investors, or Merchant Adventurers, an initial shareholder in the Plymouth Plantation.  Love became a freeman (able to vote and hold land) in the Plymouth Colony on 2 March 1635/6, and was a volunteer to fight in the Pequot War of 1637, but Plymouth Colony's volunteers were not needed.  He raised his family in the town of Duxbury, volunteered for the militia under Captain Myles Standish, and lived out his life in the town.  His wife Sarah survived him for about thirty more years, dying on 26 April 1691.

Will of Love Brewster
6 October 1650

The last Will and Testament of Love Brewster Deseassed exhibited at the generall Court holden at New Plym: the 4th of March 1650 upon the oath of Captaine Miles Standish

Witnesseth these psents that I Love Brewster of Duxburrow in New England and in the goverment of New Plym: being in pfect memory doe ordeaine & appoint this to bee my last will and Testamente And first my will is that if the lord shall please to take mee out of this life that my body bee buried in a decent mannor and that my funerall expences bee taken out of my whole estate; Next my will is; That all my Just and lawfull debts bee paied out of the Remainder of my said estate allso I give unto my Children that is to say Nathaniell Willam Wrasteling and Sara each of them a kettle and further my will is that my three sonns shall have each of them a peece that is to say a gun; allso I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Sara Brewster all the Residue of my whole estate both goods and Chattles and land at Duxburrow for her bringing up of her and my Children the time of her life and after her decease I doe give the aforsaid lands to my eldest sonn and heire apparent Nathaniell Brewster and in Case god should take him away out of this life without Issew I give and bequeath the said lands at Duxburrow to my second sonn Willam Brewster and in like case to my youngest sonn Wresteling Brewster; And for those books I have that my wife would destribute them to herselfe and Children at her discresion allso my will is and I doe by the same give unto my three sonns equally to be devided amongst them all such land as of Right due to mee by Purchase and first coming into the land Which was in the yeare 1620 allso I doe make Constitute and appoint my beloved wife Sara Brewster sole executrix of this my last will and Testament in Witnes Wherof I have put to my hand and Seale this sixt of october 1650

Witness heerunto 
Love Brewster 
Myles Standish


Go to top